Sunday, May 2, 2010

I Recorded Some Songs

"When griping grief the heart doth wound,
and doleful dumps the mind opresses,
then music, with her silver sound,
with speedy help doth lend redress"


I don't know if posthumous praise is worth anything atal, so I don't think I'll bother here and now. Here's to hoping that quote in itself will say more than any lengthy lauding could.

As I had addressed in a previous post, I am no longer in a constant cast, but instead some kind of 'splint', the medical term of which escapes me. I've been pushing myself to create to feed my suffocating urges. I still can't paint, or draw or anything related to it, I have tried but it looked about as good as my left handed effort and hurt about as much as the initial break so y'know, t'fuck with that, yeah? Instead I've been playing guitar within certain restrictions, I still can't properly strum and if I try again, it's agony, the same goes for palm muting and I guess playing for any extended period of time, which at this stage is anything past the ten minute mark. I can only use my thumb and index finger so I've been stylistically confined to basic finger picking, but who am I to complain about that? I'm repeating myself so I'll get down to the grit.

I've written and recorded four songs since my last post that fit within a similar style, I've done some more stuff too, but it's mainly experimenting with sounds. Here I'm just going to post up a collection of five songs that have one structured storyline. I'm fairly sure the only two instruments used are a guitar and the bare bones of a drum kit. For a selection of mainly quiet songs, perhaps the feedback and noisey parts are absurd, but it all makes perfect sense in my head with relation to the story and the small bit of sampling is directly linked too.
Everything was recorded with one shit dynamic mic in my shed, and I'm fairly sure that everything apart from the drums were recorded some time after 1am, perhaps that would explain the quiet, more talking than singing vocals. My lovely friend Pamela sings on the first song because I reckon out of anybody I know, the little story I'm telling here relates to her too. Listen to her songs and check out her music Tumblr which she is trying to update on the daily with a new song each time.
http://everyindiscretion.tumblr.com/





http://www.mediafire.com/?z42xwzjnm04

OR

http://rapidshare.com/files/382853338/Young_Shields-Fracture.rar


On a medical note, I'm back in on Tuesday morning for X-rays and check ups and that and I'm in for surgery part two in two to three weeks. Everything will get sorted in time.

5 comments:

  1. Really digging this a lot Balfe. Perfect essay writing music for me. Sounds a bit like Casiotone, or at least heavily influenced by Casiotone. A+++, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Rog, I appreciate that a real lot. I plan to do something a bit more electronic soon which will be much more Casiotone influenced, so if and when I do, I'll throw it your way for assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listening now and started following Pamela on Tumblr.. the kids are alright... as the who maintained :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Darren! I'll post more as it comes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm falling in love with this release.

    ReplyDelete